UCSF/Kaiser Permanente Undergraduate Research Internship (URI)
Applications are now closed for Summer 2011
The University of California at San Francisco with Kaiser Permanente, Northern California are supporting summer research internships in the areas of women’s health, pediatrics, and internal medicine (URI). Now in its third year, these internships are available to undergraduate students enrolled at the University of California at Berkeley who are planning to attend medical school after graduation, and who have an interest in women’s health, pediatrics, or primary care. Students have to be enrolled in the fall of 2011 at UC Berkeley as an undergraduate.
The research internships are 9 weeks in length (June 1–July 29, 2011) and will be based with a research faculty member in the departments of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, Medicine, or Pediatrics with clinical shadowing at UCSF and Kaiser Oakland and 1/2 day of didactics. A stipend ($2,500) is provided. This year the URI program welcomes its first male participants.
URI 2011 Interns
front row, left to right: Victor Hoang, Shannon Chan, Vanessa Madrigal, Deepika Kumar, Miaka McClenahan, Marisela Cardenas, Erika Azpeitia and Yesenia Ortega-Torres.
Back row, left to right: Ricardo Roque, Victoria Garica, Nadia Faiq, Margaret Aregbe, Jessica Dominguez, Kathrin Zimmerman, Eduardo Joya and Priscilla Valdez
- Margaret Aregbe is a senior of Nigerian heritage; her major is Integrative Biology
- Erika Azpeitia is a sophomore of Mexican heritage; her major is Molecular Environmental Biology
- Marisela Cardenas is a junior of Mexican heritage; her major is Public Health with a minor in Global Poverty and intends to pursue Pre-med
- Shannon Chan is a freshman of Chinese heritage; her major is Public Health
- Jessica Dominguez is a junior of Mexican heritage; her major is Integrative Biology
- Nadia Faiq is a junior of Afghan heritage; her major is Public Health
- Victoria Garica is a sophomore of Native American heritage; her intended major is Interdisciplinary Studies Major in Sociology, Native American Studies, and Theater also Pre-Med
- Victor Hoang is a junior of Vietnamese heritage; his major is Molecular Environmental Biology
- Eduardo Joya is a junior of Filipino heritage; his major is Integrated Biology
- Deepika Kumar is a junior of Indian heritage; her major is Molecular and Cell Biology
- Vanessa Madrigal is a junior of Mexican heritage; her major is Molecular Environmental Biology, Concentration in Human Health and the Environment
- Miaka McClenahan is a junior; her major is Integrative Biology; she is half Japanese and a mix of English, Irish, and German
- Isabeth Mendoza is a sophomore of Chicana heritage; her intended major is Public Health with a minor in Rhetoric
- Yesenia Ortega-Torres is a sophomore of Mexican heritage; her intended major is Public Health
- Ricardo Roque is a junior of Mexican heritage; his major is Psychology
- Priscila Valdez is a sophomore of Latin American heritage; her major is Integrative Biology
- Kathrin Zimmerman is a junior of Latin American heritage; her major is Native American Studies and Peace and Conflict Studies, concentration in Culture and Identity of Indigenous and Immigrant Communities
Please send any inquiries on this program to:
Tracey JonesUCSF Department of Ob, Gyn & RS
533 Parnassus Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94143-0109
415-502-7129; FAX 415-502-7125
We prefer that any communication be sent electronically.