URI's 10th Anniversary Celebration
The Undergraduate Research Internship Program celebrated 10 years during a special anniversary dinner at UCSF Mission Bay on Monday, July 16, 2018.
URI's co-founders, co-directors, research mentors, URI graduates and supporters gathered together to commemorate this milestone and reflect on the many impacts of the program's first decade.
Photographer: Colin Huang
Pictured here: URI Alums and 2018 URI Interns at the 10th Anniversary Celebration in 2018
Pictured here: URI Co-Directors Dr. Andrea Jackson, Dr. Juan Guerra, & Dr. Patricia Robertson with Keynote Speaker Dr. Lee Jones
URI Program Update
During Summer 2018, URI graduated its tenth cohort of UC Berkeley undergraduate students.
The URI 2018 Cohort
The 2018 URI interns were mentored by a diverse group of researchers. This year, our URI interns presented on the following topics at our annual Research Symposium.
- Betty Birbo | Patient-Centered Educational and Decision Support Tools (Miriam Kuppermann, PhD, MPH)
- Natalie Aceves | Investigating Risk Factors that are Associated with Parent-Child Conflict in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes (MegieOkumura, MD, MAS)
- Nina Nguyen | The Role of ERK 1/2 in Inflammatory Critical Illness (Judith Hellman, MD)
- Alexander Felix | Perfusion Imaging of Brain Metastasis after Stereotactic Radiosurgery (Javier Villanueva-Meyer, MD)
- Nhi Chu | Research on Expecting Moms and Sleep Therapy (REST) (Jennifer Felder, PhD)
- Antonio Avalos-Perez |Role of Terlomerasein Promoting Homolog Fidelity via Telomere-led Chromosome Movement during Mecosis (Jennifer Fung, PhD)
- Crystal Rubalcava | A Scoping Review to Understand the Impact on Healthcare Providers of Addressing Patient Social and Economic Needs in Clinical Care (Laura Gottlieb, MD)
- Yessenia Hernandez-Cruz | Nonimmune Fetal Hydrops (Mary Norton, MD)
- Fernanda Aguila | Improving Teens' Access & Knowledge of Contraceptives (Cynthia Harper, PhD)
- Maria Del Toro | NIRSIT: Clinical Testing of Near Infrared Spectroscopy for Quantitative Assessment of Depression (Art Wallace, MD, PhD)
- Semira Sherief | Postpartum Maternity Readmissions Project (Amanda Calhoun, MD)
- Alejandra Rivas | Environmental Influences on Children Health Outcomes (Tracey Woodruff, PhD, MPH)
- Kristiana Jordan | How to make a good egg: translation termination is decoupled from maternal mRNA stability during oocyte maturation in mice (Marco Conti, MD)
- Rafael Verduzco | Worldwide Intelligence Kept-on Internet (WIKI) (Amin Azzam, MD, MA)
- Maité Garcia | Navigating Error Disclosure Methods Through Health Professional School Curricula (Amin Azzam, MD, MA)
- Julie Ho | Can zipcodepredict hypertension control at a student free clinic? (Manuel Tapia, MD, MPH)